Key to exercises
Listen to the recording of the text and then fill in the blanks in the following sentences.
aim/purpose; training; practical/professional skills; technical training; universities
graduate school; Shakespeare’s plays; be a pharmacist
making a living; keep himself; his family; expose; ideas
waking; average; a living; all about
in danger; mechanized savages; push-button Neanderthals
have left us; peculiar accomplishments; species
Read the text for better comprehension and answer the questions, paying special attention to the parts in bold type.
It means annoying experiences, tough problems or failures.
They must have finished their graduate studies with an advanced degree like a PhD.
It simply means “one of the students”. The word “body” here means the whole group of students. Because the student is thin and tall. It is meant to be humorous rather than insulting.
4) He teaches English literature.
By using the word “stuff”, he shows his dislike for the course very clearly. He doesn’t like the course because he thinks it is useless for his planned career.
We can assume that he does not think it necessary to waste money on the books since he intends to drop the course.
The latter. It is a humorous way of referring to a certain type of people.
8) He is talking about the Pharmacy School. He is being sarcastic when he calls it “a
It means “技工”.
9) He is talking about the diploma for university or college graduates.
He has in mind people like what the student wants to be: pharmacists.
10) It means “having been introduced to the ideas developed or produced throughout history.
11) It refers to his effort to convince the student.
12) “Hold” here is an intransitive verb meaning “remain true”. It is often used as a set phrase “hold true”.
13) It means “things of the same kind”. 诸如此类
14) We call it the future continuous tense. It is used for ongoing future actions.
15) He is saying here th